Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Road Trip: Prague/Český Krumlov


Our next stop was Prague! The Czech Republic is very beautiful. Very old and very colorful. It was weird being in a country where I felt like a tourist 100% of the time. I know absolutely nothing in Czech. Not even hello, please, or thank you. Some people speak a little German, so I would use German and if that didn’t work, resort to English. Also, I’ve decided that I already miss German bakeries—what am I going to do when I’m back in the US? Haha…I had some traditional Czech and Hungarian food—Goulasch and dumplings :) 








 Such a cute baby! :)
Fun fact: In the Czech Republic, they accept Euros, but they’ll charge you more if you pay with them instead of with Czech Crowns. The conversion rate was about 25 Crowns (or Czechers, as we like to call them) to 1 Euro. So it was pretty funny to see prices that were in the hundreds, and it would still be less than 10 Euros. I would keep making mistakes, too. Something would be 75 Crowns, and I would think it was 75 cents, but then I had to remind myself that it was actually 3 Euros.
 
We crossed this beautiful bridge (St. Charles Bridge) and then hiked up to a castle and had a view of Prague from up high. Breathtaking! 





















We watched Germany play against Italy in the Semifinal for the Euro Cup, and it was painful! A good game, but I’m sad Germany lost. But oh well. At the end of the day, it’s just a game.

We went back to St. Charles Bridge to see Prague lit up at night. It was also Hailey’s birthday, so at midnight, we sang happy birthday to her on that bridge. In Prague. :) 





The next day, we left Prague and went to this smaller city called Český Krumlov. It was lovely! I learned how to say “thank you” in Czech, but I already forget it. I want to learn a little more about Czech. It sounds like Russian since it’s a Slavic language, but it uses the same alphabet we do, plus some letters with accents.  We wandered around the city for the afternoon and just enjoyed the view. There was a church up top, which may be the prettiest Baroque church I’ve seen so far! It was massive! The pictures don’t capture the magnitude and the magnificence of it, but you’ll just have to settle for pictures, unless you go to Prague :)

















Also, I’m starting a collection of people taking pictures while lying on the ground. Here are two, courtesy of Kaeli and Cort.



No comments:

Post a Comment