Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Road Trip: Dresden and the Sexy Schweiz


Well, I just finished the ultimate road trip and have arrived in Vienna! I’m going to split up my posts about each city/country because I took so many pictures and we did so much, and I don’t want to leave out anything! Our first stop was Dresden. What a gorgeous city! I can’t believe that it was completely demolished due to bombings—you can’t even tell. The buildings have all been restored to what they looked like before they were destroyed, and they’re gorgeous. 









 We did our favorite thing in Dresden: EXPLORATION! We visited an art gallery full of Renaissance paintings. The main highlight was the Sistine Madonna. It is a really beautiful painting. The museum was massive and slightly overwhelming. One can look at paintings from the same era for only so long. Caspar David Friedrich is from Dresden, so I was hoping to see some paintings by him, but unfortunately, we only had time to visit the Renaissance art gallery. We also stood on a bridge that overlooked the skyline of Dresden! There were fields of tall grass, so naturally, we had to frolic through them :)


 Jordan sported my salmon colored rain jacket. Pop that collar.



The next day, we went to the Freiburg Temple. It was so gorgeous and peaceful. I miss going every week, so this was a really wonderful opportunity to go while in Germany. 



Later that afternoon, we went to the Sächische Schweiz, but we like to refer to it as the Sexy Schweiz. It’s a national park on the border of Germany and the Czech Republic. Pretty much our entire group went hiking. We had to take a ferry across the Danube. Some people in our group decided to swim across instead! I just love our group. :) 









 
Hiking in the Alps is amazing! It’s stunningly beautiful. Colter and I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to take a great Titanic picture. The best part of the hike? I stood where Caspar David Friedrich stood to paint one of his paintings! So I guess that makes up for not being able to see any of his paintings in Dresden—I got to see one of his paintings, but the real life version of it. Ah! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment