Sunday, May 27, 2012

weil einfach einfach einfach ist!

So on Wednesday, a bunch of us really wanted to go to the beach. So after class, that’s what we did! And we did, weil einfach einfach einfach ist! It was the perfect day—85 degrees and breezy. The Wannsee was perfect swimming temperature. There was also a big slide in the middle of the lake, but unfortunately it was closed. Schade! 

Things I’ve learned about Berlin #9
It is not uncommon for one to see naked children at the beach. I just don’t think that’d be comfortable…haha

Things I’ve learned about Berlin #10
It hurts when drunk people run into you. There was this drunk guy on the tram, and he ran into me. Twice. Really hard. He smelled really bad. I was surprised he made it off the tram alive!

I had to do a presentation on the Altes Museum on Thursday.

I just realized that I failed to take a picture of what the museum looks like, but here it is in the background (ignore me and Colter):

Inside, there is a rotunda skylight that looks remarkably similar to the one in the Pantheon in Rome. It’s pretty neat.


Kristen and I had the idea of posing in front of this statue. Jozi also had the same idea and joined us:


Here’s the Berliner Dom up close:


Cindy’s two youngest sons (Logan and Nick) were posing in this eye-looking spotlight in a church:

And Keaton, too:


We saw a lot of buildings designed by Karl Friedrich Schinkel (or Shingle, as Jordan refers to him as). They’re gorgeous buildings:






A bunch of us got together and watched the Newsies. And then imitated the Brooklyn accent.


Things I’ve learned about Berlin #11
Keyholes aren’t the same as in the US. One must turn the key “upside down” (according to American standards) in order for it to fit into the keyhole.

Things I’ve learned about Berlin #12
Germans are more formal than Americans, which I did already know, but even in smaller things. For example, the name tags that cashiers wear at the grocery store have “Frau” oder “Herr” and then the person’s last name as opposed to in America where the tag just has the person’s first name.

This weekend is the Karneval der Kultur in Berlin, so we went on Saturday. There were lots of shops, food from all over the world, music, etc. We purchased a coconut and drank the contents. I’d never tried that before. Spoiler: it tastes just like water. It was for the experience. :)

We all got Henna tattoos. They’re pretty neat! We talked (in German) with the lady that did the Henna, and even though she knew we came from America, she still talked to us in German. Finally! Usually people will just speak English to you, which is really frustrating. But we just keep speaking in German back, regardless.

Today was a wonderful day at church. I got asked to say one of the prayers in Relief Society, and I said, “Ich kann versuchen!” (I can try). And the woman responded, “Versuch macht klug!” (trying makes you smart). It’s true! How else will I improve if I never step out of my comfort zone and just try?

I sat next to this sweet girl named Inga. We talked in German for a while, which was really fun! I need to keep talking with natives.

The lessons were really good, and I understand more and more each week. I also learn great words all the time! I just need to keep reviewing them so I can remember them. I think I’m at the point right now where my German has improved, but my English has declined (it was extremely difficult to write this post at some moments because I wanted to write in German or do the German sentence structure). So now, both my German and my English are at the level of a Kindergartener, and I mix the two languages a lot. It’s become a very specific language that only other Study Abroad students can understand! Haha

I’ve decided that little kids are my best friends here. For one, they’re super cute. Two, I can speak with them and understand everything. Cindy’s (my professor) daughter Amina speaks a really cute Denglisch. She’ll come up to you and say, “Try some Lippenstift (lipstick)” or “That’s your Blume (flower).” It’s pretty much one of the cutest things ever.

Oh! Yesterday for dinner, Cindy’s oldest son Kenneth made us dinner. It was a Russian specialty. (very special, might I add). You put a bunch of cold vegetables in a bowl, pour this carbonated drink (fermented bread crusts) over your vegetables, add sour cream, salt, and pepper, and mix it around to end up with this cold, carbonated soup. It wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t my favorite. Especially since it’s basically vegetables in alcoholic free beer. With sour cream. Haha. It was an experience.

Today marks one month of being in Berlin. I can’t believe an entire month has gone by! How is that even possible? My trip is one-third of the way finished. That makes me so sad to think about! I don’t want to go back to Provo! How about everyone just move to Germany? Join me here!!





No comments:

Post a Comment